Oh, Bacon. How I love thee so! Sometimes, you just need to satisfy that craving for some savory bacon. Select the healthy alternative and go for a low-sodium bacon to cut down on the salt content. Pairing bacon with brussel sprouts and baking until both are golden brown give a deep, smoky flavor profile to this simple dish.
Total Time: 45 minutes
1.5 pounds brussel sprouts
4 slices of low-sodium bacon
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 365F.
2) Wash and trim ends of brussel sprouts. Cut into halves.
3) Lay brussel sprouts on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Take heed to have the cut face of the brussel sprouts facing up.
4) Cut bacon slices into 1.5-inch pieces and lay on top of the brussel sprouts.
5) Drizzle extra virgin olive oil with a light hand. Season with salt and pepper.
6) Bake in oven for 45 minutes, but give a turn to the brussel sprouts at the 35 minute mark.
Go light on the salt because bacon already has a smoky, salty flavor to it. Placing the brussel sprouts cut side up allows the bacon drippings to fall into the little crevices of each brussel sprouts and maximizes the flavor.