If you’re looking for a refreshing salad to combat the warm summer months, look no further than this bright Greek salad. With tangy flavors, this grilled chicken Greek salad features fresh vegetables, lemon, and savory feta. Adding hearty chickpeas and a lean chicken breast fillet gives protein, while keeping it low fat. Here’s to a light, yet filling summertime salad that’s made in a flash.
Total Time: 30 minutes
1/2 Romaine lettuce hearts
1/2 yellow squash, sliced into half moons
1/2 zucchini, sliced into half moons
2 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 cucumber, seeded and sliced 1 can chickpeas (drained, rinsed, skins removed)
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 chicken breast fillet (8 oz.)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. thyme, roughly chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. black pepper
1) Pulse all ingredients for vinaigrette in a food processor until well combined.
2) Toss yellow squash, zucchini, plum tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, and red bell pepper in a large bowl with vinaigrette.
3) Cover salad with plastic wrap and set aside in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
4) Preheat grill to high and coat chicken fillet with olive oil. Grill chicken until thoroughly cooked and marks develop (approximately 7-9 minutes). Set aside to cool.
5) Place lettuce on bottom of serving plate. Top with salad and grilled chicken when ready to serve.
Using feta cheese in the vinaigrette gives a distinct flavor to the salad. But more importantly, the feta gives a thicker consistency to the vinaigrette and allows it to cling to the lettuce leaves and vegetables.